Sunday, September 8, 2013

What will I 'Farm'?


After reading about tissue-engineering meat in On Farming -which for me is extreme- my farming ideas are more abstract than tangible. I will farm: 

1. Over population social awareness (globally)
2. Global and Temporary birth control-policies
3. Regulations on urban inhabitation

 It is a fact that one of our major issues is the fast growing population around the World, which bring issues as scarce resources such as food, water and energy, also bring high risks of epidemics of mortal diseases.  The population is growing faster than the design and implementation of sustainability approaches that could address our global crisis. I will concentrate efforts in simultaneous strategies to control one of the main factors threatening the future of our well being in this Planet. The development of possible solutions for our global crisis has to be in a holistic fashion, we have to attack the base of the problem, educate the people and then implement the strategies.

Farming…

When I think in farming something, I would farm 2 things that might not help a lot to the food crisis, but might help our ecosystem and definitively our stress levels. As a child I grew up in a natural reserve seeing a bio-luminescent bay  in front of my house in Puerto Rico, also seeing lots of fireflies. Unfortunately both conditions are not longer as evident today as they were 20 years ago. The reason for this is the pollution in the water (do to motor boats) and the pollution of artificial light do to the rapidly urbanization of the area.  So, I will create a farm in the bay for single-celled bioluminescent dinoflagellates (Pyrodimium bahamense) and a reserve area to farm fireflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment